There are a lot of novel recommends out here in the blogosphere but very few short story recommends. So I thought I would remedy that.
I love short stories. I love to read them, and I love to write them. For me, there’s nothing like finding a good short story. So here’s sixteen absolutely perfect short stories. Some are well-known, a few not-as-well-known.
If I were building an anthology of short stories, these would be the ones I would choose. Each I have read at least ten times. Some more. So, if you are looking for a quick read, here are some suggestions. Enjoy.
1. Silent Snow, Secret Snow by Conrad Aiken
2. Sonny’s Blues by James Baldwin
3. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce
4. Killings by Andre Dubus
5. Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway
6. The Last Leaf by O. Henry
7. The Dead by James Joyce
8. A Temporary Matter by Jhumpa Lahiri
9. To Build a Fire by Jack London
10. Walker Brothers Cowboy by Alice Munro
11. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
12. I Stand Here Ironing by Tillie Olsen
13. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
14. A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J. D. Salinger
15. After Rain by William Trevor
16. A & P by John Updike